Roasted Kale and Yam Salad
Makes 6 servings
- 2 jewel yams, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Toss the yams with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and arrange evenly onto a baking sheet.
2. Bake in the preheated oven until the yams are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature in the refrigerator.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and garlic until the onion has caramelized to a golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in the kale, cooking until wilted and tender. Transfer the kale mixture to a bowl, and cool to room temperature in the refrigerator.
4. Once all the ingredients have cooled, combine the yams, kale, red wine vinegar, and fresh thyme in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and gently stir to combine.