This is a great recipe, easy to make and can be made ahead of time. Recipe can easily be adjusted to accommodate vegetarian or vegan diets.
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 lb. ground beef/turkey or 10 oz tofu
1 – 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped carrots
1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 can red kidney beans
1 can Cannellini beans
1 can corn (no juice)
1. Cook onions in oil until tender/golden. Add carrots cook additional 5 min.
2. Add ground beef/turkey or tofu and cook until brown.
3. Add minced garlic
4. Add can of tomatoes with 1/2 can boiling water
5. In a little cup, mix chili powder, salt and sugar with cold water to create a paste. Add to meat.
6. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Check regularly that it is not losing too much liquid. Can easily burn on bottom.
7. Uncover and add beans and corn.
8. Cook for 1/2 hour longer.
Best when left over night.
Serve with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.