It’s hard to find another nutrient-packed food with fiber, omega-3’s, and is low in calories. Chia Seeds, yes as in, 80’s Chia Pet. These tiny seeds are packed with nutritious fiber and can be used to create a variety of pudding-like foods. Can be mixed with Almond milk (as in recipe below) to make a raw, great tasting, and vegan/gluten-free pudding that non-vegans will also love. Low in carbohydrates, 1 Tbsp has 7 grams carb (mostly complex), 5 grams fiber, 70 calories, and 4 grams fiber (mostly omega-3).
Modification for diabetes or blood sugar issues – use 1 date as a natural sweetener (recipe calls for 4-5). Each date has 66 calories, 16 grams carbohydrate, 1.6 grams fiber and 167 mg of potassium.
Recipe from Jennifer Vagios
Serves: 1 (make more, trust me)
Time: 10 minutes (if pre-soaked chia pudding) otherwise 40 mins-overnight.
For the chia pudding:
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (black variety is nutritionally superior)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
For the Apple Pie Bit:
- 1 green apple (I think I’ll use 1.5 apples next time)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or other nut)
- 4-5 dried medjool dates (pit removed)
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (make your own: 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg + 1 teaspoon ground cardamom-yields 2 tablespoons).
1. Make the pudding by combining the chia seeds and almond milk. Place in a mason jar or other cute container you can seal. Refrigerate while you make the pie mix.
2. Place all other ingredients in the food processor and pulse. Be careful not to over mix. It will become paste like..and that’s okay, but I prefer a little chunkiness.
3. Pause for a moment and appreciate the fact that your kitchen will now smell like apple pie. It’s pleasant to notice the little things now isn’t it? (there’s the yoga teacher in me telling you to PAUSE & BREATHE).
4. Combine 1/2 a cup of the apple pie filling with the chia pudding, stir well and place back in the refrigerator. Let the flavors merge and get cozy with one another for 20 minutes up to an hour or even overnight.
You’ll want to make a double batch. Trust me.
Make it more Awesome: (Yes, you can).
- The leftover Apple Pie filling can be used as a dip, added to your oats, or smeared on some toast. Endless possibilities here. Make a smoothie!
- Use other nuts, I think I’ll pre-toast some almonds next time.
- Use other liquids like coconut milk, cashew or even hemp milk.
- Breakfast in a pinch! Make this at night and have it ready to grab in the morning.